The use of technology is integrated throughout the goals and performances described in the Governor Wentworth Regional School District Strategic Plan. In order to support and enhance teaching and learning, electronic communications and information resources must be provided. The utilization of these resources will facilitate the implementation and attainment of the 12-K Commencement Goals.
The Internet is a global electronic information infrastructure. The vast resources and opportunities which the Internet provides to users make the use of this technology a powerful and innovative teaching and learning tool. Users have access to:
- Electronic mail (email) communication with people around the world;
- Information and news from a variety of sources and research institutions used by educators, business, government, the military, organizations and private individuals;
- Public domain and shareware software of all types, and
- Discussion groups on a wide variety of topics.
All users will be granted access to as many network services as their technology allows, as is age appropriate and under the supervision of staff. Exploration of the Internet is encouraged within the bounds of the Governor Wentworth Regional School District Acceptable Use Policy Statement of Purpose. Internet access is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in cancellation or suspension of that privilege. After basic training, users must display an understanding of the following acceptable and unacceptable uses to gain online access.
- All use of the Internet must be in support of education and research and consistent with the goals and objectives of the Governor Wentworth Regional School District;
- Network accounts are to be used only by the authorized user of the account for the authorized purpose;
- Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the network;
- All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private property;
- Users are responsible for getting approval from supervisory staff for all subscriptions to newsgroups, listservs, and similar files;
- Any student work must be signed with the student's full name;
- Individuals in pictures, movies or sound recordings may be identified only by initials (e.g. JQP for John Q. Public.( Absolutely no first or last names may appear in reference to individuals in any image, movie, or sound recording;
- Individuals who can identify an inappropriate use of online resources or a security problem must notify supervisory staff;
- While exercising the privilege of using the Internet as an educational resource, users shall also monitor and accept the responsibility for all material received;
- Only those students with Internet instruction shall be given the privilege of using the Internet;
- No personal information about a student will be allowed to go out on the Internet. This includes home telephone numbers and addresses as well as information regarding the specific location of any student at any given time;
- Any use of the network for commercial or for-profit purposes is prohibited;
- Users have the responsibility of keeping all pornographic material, inappropriate text files, or files dangerous to the integrity of the network from entering the school via the Internet,and to report all violations to supervisory staff;
- No use of the network, such as, the use of obscene, abusive, or threatening messages, or chain letters, shall serve to disrupt the use of the network by others; hardware or software shall not be destroyed, modified, or abused in any way;
- Malicious use of the network to develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computer system is prohibited;
- Limits on the installation of copyrighted software are to be respected, and
- From time to time the Governor Wentworth Regional School District will make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the Acceptable Use Policy.
Misuse of Privileges and Consequences:
The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right. The user will be held responsible for her/his actions and activities. Infractions of guidelines 1-9 will be dealt with as a Level I offense as detailed in the Governor Wentworth Regional School District Discipline Code. Infractions of guidelines 10-16 will be dealt with as a Level II offense.